Monday, March 22, 2010

The healing power of raw fish

I am still fighting off my cold symptoms, with variable success. This Saturday the weather was great, and R. decided to see if the ocean air can help me, so he took me to El Granada.

After a short 2-hour walk in the fisherman's marina, checking the live Dungeness crabs sold from the boats (exceptional!) and on the beach, we ended up in Sam's Chowder House, a restaurant with one of the best views even in views-rich California.
What I love about CA is that even in a place with a great view you can get good food. The gumbo was excellent, tuna poke just the way I like it, moist and not too salty, and the oysters (we had local kumamotos and royal miyagis from British Colombia) had this season's creamy quality that I already mentioned in my post about the oyster farm. The oysters were so rich in fact, that they went well with Ferrari Carano Sav. Blanc, an unlikely oyster wine.


And the magic of the ocean, the sunshine, fish and wine worked: my cold was gone for the day! It returned the next day, and I am still fighting it, but at least now I know that there is hope.



Today I am leaving the corporate wonderland for brief five days, to see how much I love to do what I love to do the best. I am taking the CIA Career Discovery - Culinary Arts class.
Wish me good luck.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You complain about your photography, but I liked all of your picturs. I think some of them would make good posters. The ones with the ocean background, especially. And the food looked really good. Another fine job.

-R

amarillo said...

Sunshine: it's one thing to take pictures in a restaurant, with the ocean in the background, when the food is all arranged for you. When you actually cook and serve the dish, you just don't have these extra two or four (claen) hands to set the light, the background, and to shoot the food. So either the pictures come out lousy, or the food comes to the table cold and stale. So far, I've been choosing the former. And complaining.