Thursday, July 1, 2010

Summer Is Now

I've been asking "When summer?" all these long cold and rainy months, and finally the answer is "Now." The temperatures are in the 90ieth, the car AC stopped working, there are so many people you cannot see the water in the community pool, and so many sailboats you cannot see the water in the Bay, and it's summer market again!!!

No need to cook. Just fire up the gas grill, let it heat up to 450 degrees, stay back. Brush the tenderloin tip and sliced Japanese eggplant with olive oil seasoned with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, grill 2-3 minutes on each side. The eggplant just needs the grill marks and a little smoky flavor; it's so tender that it cooks in no time at all.

Boil "little people" funny shaped Finn potatoes until they almost fall apart. Slice the vine-ripened supersweet tomatoes and Persian cucumbers with their eadible crunchy skins, dress with salt, pepper, and olive oil - they don't need any enhancements. After the steak has rested a few minutes, slice it, and put dab of lemon-herb butter on it, or just use mustard.

Chill the Pinot, pour, and serve.

I was amazed when I came to Belmont farmers market last Sunday, and the first thing I saw was ... FIGS! Figs? Figs. In the end of June. I remember how I waited and waited for them till the end of August last year. And these farmers from Central Califirnia didn't understand why I jumped so high at the sight of them: "Why? Actually, we are a week behind, it's been a cold year." There is no picture, I was shopping for my cooking gig for my client and friend, and had to run. I'll get some for myself, and photograph them, the next time.

Other highlights of the summer market: cherries, apricots, nectarines, peaches (Galaxy peaches are wonderful!). Summer squashes are in. Fava beans and asparagus are out. Green peas are still holding, but they won't last. The first sighting of bell peppers. Heirloom tomatoes.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: