Friday, May 30, 2008

Salmon and Shrimp Teriyaki Skewers

I think I got this recipe for teriyaki marinade on epicurious.com, and I've modified it a little.
(serves one hungry cat)

Teriyaki sauce:

1/2 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp mirin
1 tsp Japanese (toasted) sesame oil
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 in ginger root, grated (I didn't have ginger but had galangal, so I used it instead; liked it better)
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp chili paste
1 skinless salmon steak
3-4 large shrimps, peeled, tail on
1/2 small ripe papaya, peeled, cut into bite-size pieces
1 or 2 key limes, halved (after our recent quest for Peruvian food, I have a large bag of key limes, so I use them everywhere)

Mix all sauce ingredients. I didn't pass them through the blender - next time I will, to make it smooth. I didn't enjoy picking burnt woody pieces of galangal and garlic out of my dish.

Cut the salmon steak into 1 in cubes. Toss the salmon and shrimps with the sauce and marinate for 2 hours.

Soak bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes.

Thread salmon, shrimps, pieces of papaya and halves of key lime on the skewers.

Grill over hot grill about 5 minutes, turning frequently, brushing with the sauce.

Serve over green salad.
And yes, the wine! Margan 2001 Verdelho, from Australia. I was in love with it at the first sip. Similar to my beloved New Zealand Sauv Blancs, but more so. Crisp, with tropical fruits, herbs, and spices. Medium-light body. It's not just an elegant bottle, the content is elegant too. Serve chilled.

No comments: