Thursday, June 10, 2010

Look at the 'shroom!

The mushroom stall at the farmers market never stops to amaze. Today they had this fine specimen on display (at 2 pounds @$24/lb it would cost $48, but I doubt that she would sell it anyway). It was one of the biggest cepes I've ever seen.
After realizing that I forgot to get cash and only have a $20, I didn't even attempt to bid for the king 'shroom, but settled for his younger brother the prince, and just one half of him. $12, good two servings.

I've sliced the half-mushroom thin, seasoned with salt and pepper, sauteed it in half-olive oil/half butter over medium heat untill dry, added thinly sliced red onion and sliced asparagus, sauteed some more to soften the onion.
Served over buccatini pasta tossed with fava beans puree, garnished with grated parmesan.
For the fava beans puree: Double-shell (remove the pods, put in hot water for about a minute to loosen the skins, pinch and remove the skins0 1 lb fava beans (makes about one cup). Cook in a small amount of water until tender, about 15 minutes. Puree in blender. Season with salt and pepper. Fold in 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Serve over pasta, in sandwiches, on toasts, or about anywhere.

Yes, it's vegetarian again. I told you it's a conspirasy.
I thought about adding some of my home cured bacon but realized that it would overpower the precious mushroom. The bacon'll have to wait.



No comments: