Monday, May 3, 2010

Sunny day, whole fish

I was having a car problem on Sunday, and while I was waiting for my car to be repaired, R. took me to the farmers market, and there I saw the fish. I looked at the Thai snapper, it looked at me, and we were at agreement that it's a good day to grill a whole fish.

It's a good idea to grill a fish with the scales on - the scales don't stick to the grill, and when it's ready you just lift and discard the skin with the scales. but this time the fishmonger had scaled the fish before I had a chance to say anything. All right, there are other ways to protect my fish from sticking, like a lot of oil, or a grilling basket, or placing herbs between the grill and the fish.

To keep the Thai theme, I put kaffir lime leaves and slices of Meyer lemon inside the fish and also tied them to the outside. Brushed with grapeseed oil and grilled over indirect heat for about 15 minutes, turning (very carefully) once.
Served with grilled asparagus and frisee and heirloom tomato salad.

2007 Mahi Marlborough Pinot Noir, since the fish is from New Zealand too. I would eat it with a Sav. Blank, but R. likes a red wine even with fish, and the light silky Pinot worked just fine.

No comments: