Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Musings over an empty package of ravioli

Packaged foods are mysterious.

Tonight I was feeling like pasta, but wasn’t feeling like making my own. So I bought a package of Four Cheese Jumbo Ravioli from Trader Joe’s refrigerator section. The package contained 12 huge (approximately 2x3 inches, not my bite size for sure) flat rectangles, and the label said “Serving size 1 cup. Servings per container about 2.5”

I have a degree in Math from one of the best universities in the world. I couldn’t figure out how many pieces per serving. Or how to fit them in a measuring cup. So I just ate them all. They are OK. Oh, and the instruction on the package tells you to bring water to a rapid boil, and then cook the pasta over a medium boil gently. I have a lot to learn about cooking.

With our midnight cheese and wine course, the man likes large rectangular whole wheat crackers, and I like small round water crackers. His crackers have the food pyramid on the box, instructing you to eat 6-11 servings of bread, grains, and pasta per day. The crackers’ serving size is 4. That would be 24 large crackers a day for me, or 44 for him. I would rather die. My small crackers say that the serving size is 3. Just 18 for me and 33 for him a day. We can live again.

What a scary mess must be the live of someone who trusts a printed word!

There is no recipe in this post. Or, wait a minute, there is one:

Four Cheese Jumbo Ravioli
Serves 2.5
1-10oz package Trader Joe’s Four Cheese Jumbo Ravioli

Add pasta to 3 quarts of rapidly boiling water. Cook for 8-10 minutes over a medium boil gently stirring occasionally. Drain (divide between 2.5 plates?) and serve.

3 comments:

Navita (Gupta) Hakim said...

Hi Amarillo.. congrats on being picked by Food Buzz...came here through that :)

Anonymous said...

Fabulous blog. This post made me chuckle.
A question: In the steak tartare post and the beets and salmon salad (both looked delicious) they're plated on a rectangular white plate. Where did you purchase them?

amarillo said...

They seem to be everywhere now :) I bought mine in Marshalls.